Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Big Come Up

The Big Come Up

This is the first full-length from The Black Keys from Akron, Ohio. I am currently somewhat obsessed with this band. They are a two-piece blues/indie rock hybrid that manages to stay true to both impulses simultaneously. The thing that first won me over about them is a song from their third full-length CD Rubber Factory Stack Shot Billy, which is a stripped-down rewrite of the traditional blues song Stack-O-Lee.

The Big Come Up (2002) is their first full-length CD, and it does, indeed, rock. I hear tons of different influences, which I won't list here, but essentially this band sits comfortably in the tradition of blues rock. They're both great players, they know the blues. I look forward to tracing their evolution as a band. They have four more full lengths and a couple of ep's (one of which I have) and a brand new one in the pipe for April 1st. They're also playing at the Orpheum May 17th, but the show is sold out.

Maybe next time...

No comments: