Saturday, December 13, 2008

Does Anybody Know...

Of music, art, film, etc. made by youthful (say, in their twenties) artists currently that is vital, well made, sincere, not celebrity-obsessed, not status-quo upholding, fun, positive, meaningful, poetic, subversive...

In other words, are the youth of today making art? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. I'm kind of despairing at the moment. Everything I'm seeing seems like recycled fashion magazine fodder. No new ideas. No thought for the future. No imagining of anything that doesn't already exist.

Show me something, please. I need to know it's out there.

3 comments:

none said...

APOLOGY IN ADVANCE, I CANNOT SHOW YOU ANYTHING SPECIFIC, I DON'T HAVE THE ANSWERS...

but it's out there. I've seen it. There *are* two specific people i'm thinking of atm, online friends who now are prolly in their late twenties. I can't show you their art because one of them (painter, artist, writer) has virtually disappeared and taken everything with her; the other purposely blocks people from viewing his site (of which i'm thinking as the work of art, but it's not so much visual art, it's more intellectual and has to do with combining how the web works with his own personal life experiences into a big puzzle), as it's very personal and he is a bit reclusive and misanthropic. In fact, i sometimes wonder if he's blocked me or if he really took the site down as he said he did. Heh.

I found them both very humbling.

So, i can't show you anything but i can tell you that it's out there, at least. Maybe my reply will just be annoying. I hope not - you said you needed to know it was out there, so i'm telling you that it really is.

Diane Griffin said...

thanks, Slumbs, that's cool to know. Funny that the folks doing that kind of work that you know are hiding it.

I don't get it. The world needs that stuff! (I guess maybe for "the world" you can substitute "me")

Anonymous said...

There's a pretty cool band on myspace called Below the Salt. Pretty sure most of em are in their 20s although I'm not sure. at first thought it was derivative Irish stuff but the saw, accordian, lyrics, and ultimately the tunes, convinced me otherwise after I bought a CDR at one of their shows. I think they are still playing and hail from Bellingham, WA