Thursday, June 17, 2010

A Random Memory

I worked at a call center a few years ago. Many of my fellow workers were a lot younger than me, in their early twenties.

There was one girl in particular, someone I liked a lot. She was smart and funny and fashionable. She was obsessed, like many of the kids I worked with, with celebrity culture. A particular favorite of hers was Paris Hilton. I think Paris was very important to her. One time, we were on a break (probably once when the phone system was down) we somehow got onto the subject of Paris, and as I have no respect for the Hilton woman, I said, "Don't you understand that Paris is short for Parasite?" which was really funny to me, but which hurt (I will call her) Samantha's feelings. She never spoke to me again. It's true, we didn't work together but another couple of weeks, but I think she was truly offended by what I said, and we never said a word to each other after that.

I've always regretted being so acerbic in that situation. If Samantha ever randomly happens to read this and recognizes herself in this little story, please understand that I'm really sorry. I was mean.

What I wish I'd gone on to say is -- "I think you are a hundred times cooler than her. You are braver and tougher and, actually, far more beautiful than Paris HIlton could ever be. Any time PH gets into trouble, she's always got daddy's millions to fall back on. You're out here in the middle of the night calling people and struggling to make it and doing OK. Sam, you rock." That's how I feel and I so wish I hadn't left it where I left it w/ her.

No comments: