Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Jandek

I have been listening to a lot of Jandek recently. I find him intriguing. On one level, you kinda have to think "The boy must have $$$ to throw away" because he's done so many lps and CDs (50 releases in 29 years), and they're all so obtuse. I like obtuse. I got my eyes on the new live one. He's playing synth and the guitarist is Loren Connors. I haven't heaerd as much of LMC's music as I have of Jandek's, but I have heard a few things: very compatible with Jandek. There's also a rhythm section, so I'm most interested to hear what I imagine will be some very psychedelic music.

Of the 14 Cds I have, there's a whole bunch of the early ones, and a couple of the later ones (I love Khartoum). I have nothing from the nineties, and I'm feelinging the lack. I try to buy them at Twisted Village Records in Harvard Square (great store!), and they carry what's current and the early classics, but of that "middle" period, I have only seen one of the spoken word ones in there Put My Dream On This Planet and that was not one I was all that interested in. I keep hoping they'll get Glad To Get Away or White Box Reqiuem, but not to date.

I think Jandek's music is spooky, mysterious, timeless, primal. It's little-boy naive, it's old as the hills. It's blues, it's country, it's noise, it's a kind of subconsious diary...

I don't know how long this current fascination will last: I've had a few little bouts with this music before, but they kinda go away. But I feel like I'm hearing it on a new level now, I'm catching more of the lyrics (which are quite good) and hearing what he's doing with the guitar more distictly now, too.

So, maybe I'll be listening a bunch more? We'll see.

1 comment:

Diane Griffin said...

Did get Manhattan Tuesday, and it's weird, psychedelic, and compelling. It's kinda strange to hear that Jandek sensibility (which I have to this point kind of associated with solitude) play out with a full band & in front of a large & respectful audience, but it does work remarkably well. This is another truly unique listening experience.